Authors: Henda Chorfi, Arwa AlAtee, Aseel AlOqeely, Laila AlMutairi, Lamia Akjhriji, and Sarah AlDossari
Date published: 3 July 2015
Research commissioned by: King Saud University Riyadh
Why did we select this research?
Traffic jam is a growing problem especially in big cities like Riyadh. Wherever, streets are congested with cars and the need of cost-effective system is increasing in order to reduce the traffic jam impact. At the same time, each car’s capacity can take up to four persons but this capacity is generally underexploited.
- Carpooling as a potential solution for Riyadh's problem with the huge amount of cars on their roads.
- Creation of a smart vehicle ravel sharing mobile app.
- The app is based on trusted users : users are allowed to register as part of a university or a company group or validated by their administrator.
- The app proposes “female only” feature to take into account the specificity of Saudi society. Third, the application proposes, for the requester, only appropriate drivers who are chosen considering the profile matching of the requester and the supplier.
- Environmentally friendly because it provides for free a carpooling service, which reduces traffic jam, carbon emissions and the need for parking spaces.
Chorfi, H., AlAtee, A., AlOqeely, A., AlMutairi, L., Akjhriji, L., & AlDossari, S. (2015). A Smart Real-time Ride-share for Riyadh City. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 195, 1932-1937. Retrieved from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042815036848.